4.09.2011

Pew Pew Navy Raven!

I got my first two solo kills today, both on mission runners.

My first was to a Russian dominix pilot who thought his friends could save him.  They could not.  The also thought they had aggro on my Orca.  They did not.  I pew pew pew'd his domi but due to lack of knowledge of the mechanics of the Orca I failed to save my drake from destruction.  Ah well.

So I quickly went over to Jita, reshipped into a brand spanking new drake and went about my business of scanning.  I found a Navy Raven and, though knowing that most CNR's are macro-ers, I decided to investigate. 

As soon as I showed up on grid, he warped out.  He was an '06 player and the only player in his corporation.  After a short discussion, he asked me to keep an eye out for his mission objective, some viral agent or some sort.  My trusty Merlin soon sniffed it out and scooped it up, but my services are not rendered for free. 

Apparently, this did not go over well with my CNR friend, for he promptly locked me up and proceeded to open fire.  My Orca, which was waiting on the gate struggled to warp in on time and my Merlin died in a ball of fire. 

This is normally the time where Mr. CNR would warp out.  He did not. 

He sits there for more than thirty seconds as I switch into my drake and promptly open fire with Torrent Rage Missiles.  But it is also here I learn the problem with shield tanking gank ships and Orca's.  Your bonus to shield amount is not taken into account when boarding ships, nor are certain modules.  So every time I board my drake, I'm at 60% shield strength, which means I have approximately 40k EHP.  His CNR was hitting my drake like it was the broad side of a barn, so it wasn't long until I was in armor, then structure shortly after. 

Not wishing to repeat my previous mistake, I quickly switched into my Hawk and kited the CNR.  I then hopped back into the Drake and reopened fire for 30 seconds before quickly switching back to the Hawk as the CNR resumed fire upon my drake.  The Hawk could tank the CNR, the Drake could break it.  I had to find a new solution and quickly.  I decided to keep the CNR pointed with the hawk while I docked my Orca and repaired the drake.

When I came back in the Orca, I found another ninja on the gate and also that the CNR pilot had gone seemingly AFK for some unknown reason.  Herp derp.  I opened fire in my drake, which now had no shields (Buffer Hull Tank FTW!) and proceeded to destroy the CNR in a matter of minutes.

The CNR was worth 2.5 Billion ISK all told.  I tried to get a ransom of a mere 300 million ISK, but he wouldn't pay when I asked and I had to kill him while he was "afk".  The great thing was the 700 Million ISK in drops that I received for my hour and a half of work.  The Drops included a Gist C-Type X-Large Shield Booster (550 Million ISK), 2x Caldari Navy Cruise Missile Launchers (50 Million ISK ea.) and 1x Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System (90 Million ISK). 

All Told,

20 Minutes Scanning
10 Minutes Salvaging
30 Minutes Baiting
30 Minutes Fighting

TOTAL
1.5 Hours
ISK Earned: 700,000,000.00
ISK Destroyed: 2,500,000,000.00

That was my second solo mission runner kill in my entire EVE career, I love this game.

Always betting on stupid, 

Hianmar, a.k.a. TheEVEGamer

PS- I admit that 99% of this kill was luck.  This could have gone very differently had he not shot, warped when he had the chance, logofski'd or killed my drake.  But in the end it was worth it.  Every stinking, ill-begotten penny of it.

PPS- I didn't post mails because these kills were done on one of my secret alts, well semi-secret.  I don't want to reveal his name to the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment